Everyone is talking about relationship building these days, but what does that mean? And more importantly, what does that look like for your insurance company or brokerage?
Attracting and retaining market share is a nuanced undertaking. A big part of that effort should be relationship building – easy and two-way communication between your brand and your customers. A strong relationship-building strategy can help drive deep engagement with your brand, increase market share, and ensure loyalty.
5 RELATIONSHIP-BUILDING TIPS TO DRIVE ENGAGEMENT
Shifting your focus from sales to relationship building can strengthen your branding and improve your bottom line. Here are some tips to help you grow your insurance business:
- Get Emotional: No, crying in the office is still not recommended, but tapping into your policyholders’ emotions is. By creating an emotional connection with your brand, you not only build a client base but a fan base. Your clients might not get emotional about insurance, but they could become emotionally connected to your brand and the people who represent it. Building trust, inspiring confidence, and delivering exceptional customer service will help you create strong, fruitful relationships.
- Show Your Generosity: People want to support brands that give back – whether that be addressing social or environmental issues, supporting communities in need, or offering free support or educational information. Data indicate that people are more likely to engage with purpose-driven brands. Make sure you promote your brand’s purpose-led strategy in action through ads, videos, blogs, and social posts. In addition, offer free educational materials and webinars to teach existing and potential clients why they need insurance, how to spot emerging liability, and when to call an agent for help.
- Develop Symbiotic Relationships: To build trust, add value, and generate buzz for your insurance brand, consider a marketing partnership with a symbiotic national brand. The right partnership could help you break into new markets and increase your brand exposure. Choosing the right brand to partner with and creating a cohesive marketing plan are essential to achieving your goals.
- Personalize Your Messages: Relationship building is a long-game strategy that requires multiple touches through various channels. To get better results, use storytelling to add a personal touch to your brand. Tell how your brand helped a family in need, a business recover, or a community rise after a tragedy. Storytelling is a powerful way to forge a connection between your brand and prospects and clients.
- Be a Good Listener: Every relationship requires some give and take. You need to listen to your clients to understand who they are and what they need. Develop a targeted feedback strategy that is built into all your customer communications. Ask them specific questions at each stage of the relationship and use that information to adjust your customer service procedures and marketing strategy.
Insurance may be a financial industry but, ultimately, your business helps people. People are the ones who own businesses, drive cars, and buy houses, taking risks that could benefit and burden them at the same time. The best marketing strategy for your insurance brand is to build long-term emotional engagement with your clients and prospects through collaborative and reciprocal relationships.
Not sure how to get started in the relationship business? Struggling to incorporate relationship building into your marketing strategy? Build a relationship with LIGHTSTREAM, and we’ll show you how it’s done.